Web: www.twitter.com/flyingwithfish — E-Mail: email@example.com
29/05/2009 – 24-Hour Travel-Photo BootCamps For Everyone! June 21-NYC and June 28-San Francisco
Where & When:
June 21st – Depart New York City (early morning) *TWO SEATS LEFT!*
June 28th – Depart San Francisco/Bay Area (late evening) *THREE SEATS LEFT!*
Do you want to expand your overall skills as a photographer? Not through a workshop, not through a seminar, but by actually applying your knowledge in the streets, learning how to adapt, overcome and create images regardless of what stands in your way while on the road!
The Flying With Fish Travel-Photo BootCamp is unlike any educational experience you have encountered as a photographer. The focus of The BootCamp is simple, to force its participants outside of their comfort zone while teaching them how to adapt and succeed!
Participants arrive at the airport and are not informed of their destination until they receive their boarding passes allowing for no time to prepare and requiring participants to be ready for anything
Who can benefit from The Travel-Photo BootCamp? EVERYONE!
As photographers we constantly encounter the unexpected. We all have a vision of perfection, but the reality of shooting is that things don’t always go as planned and we’re often working within very real time-constraints.
No matter where your camera will take you in your lifetime there will be times when things just don’t go your way. An afternoon in a city that you will not have the opportunity to visit again and its raining; an outdoor wedding ceremony with awful light; a corporate or editorial shoot where the photo you have in mind simply cannot be achieved…however learning to work outside your comfort zone and rapidly adapt greatly enhances your ability to create the images you desire.
The skills learned leading up to The Travel-Photo BootCamp, and throughout the evolution of the day, will enhance any photographer’s ability to succeed while shooting anything…anywhere! The exercises participants will be faced with are designed to benefit weekend hobbyist and full-time professionals.
This BootCamp is not a travel photography workshop. We will not be seeking ‘the beautiful sunset, we will be creating captivating images with no time to wait for perfection. Travel is simply a mechanism of education designed to force photographers of all abilities to learn new shooting skills while disoriented, tired, cranky and cut off from their arsenal of equipment.
How does The Travel-Photo BootCamp force a photographer outside their comfort zone? Simple? Through various photo assignment scenarios, within significant time constraints, giving participants every opportunity to succeed in situations designed to make them fail!
This is how it is done:
1) Participants are strictly restricted on the equipment they can bring with them. Prior to The BootCamp each participant will receive individual attention to assist in the process of selecting equipment, choosing a bag and stripping their kit out to only travel with the essentials
2) Participants have no idea where they are headed to plan for the workshop. We meet at the airport and the destination is only revealed when you’re handed your boarding pass
3) Participants will get on a fairly long flight at some time of the day when they should be sleeping, sitting upright in a seat 17” wide, and not presented with any location preparation materials.
4) Upon arrival participants will be briefed on their first assignment and be required to quickly execute this assignment before being handed the next assignment. Deadlines are very real, ground-planning logistics are real…and equipment restrictions are real.
5) Participants will be required to use public transportation and rely on their navigating skills.
6) Participants will be in their undisclosed city for less than 12 hours between flights. This time includes landing, briefing, travel time to city, shooting time, between-assignment-meetings, getting back to the airport, clearing security and getting back on the flight home.
Throughout the time leading up to The Travel-Photo BootCamp participants will receive answers to any travel planning questions they may have. Throughout the shooting day participants will be encouraged to explore while always keeping an eye on their watch and receive instruction dealing with working in less than ideal scenarios. Through the post-airport period and flight home there will be Q&A and critique session.
To make the education experience more challenging, some of the assignments will only be passed onto ‘Me’ during the day. By not having access to what is coming next as the person leading The Travel-Photo BootCamp I am required to work ‘in the blind’ just like everyone else!
Does this sound like the photo education experience you’ve been craving? Of course it does!
What does The Travel-Photo BootCamp cost?
From New York/JFK the fee is US$750
From San Francisco/SFO the fee is US$800
These fees are valid until June 1st due to an exceptional airfare in place that allows The BootCamps to be offered for such an affordable rate
Want to come along? Signing up is easy! Simply send your registration fee via PayPal to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW YORK/JUNE-21 HAS TWO SEATS LEFT
SAN FRANCISCO/JUNE-28 HAS THREE SEATS LEFT
…still reading? Not totally convinced yet? Well them, how about an added incentive? All participants in The Travel-Photo BootCamp will receive a Mountainsmith pack of my choice courtesy of Mountainsmith. I have used Mountaismith bags all over the world for years as a working photographer. I love their products and I am sure you will too!